Generally, enabling the antivirus or firewall in your system restricts the malware & spam from any harmful apps/websites. When you notice the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error on your system, you will end up with unresponsive Google pages. To get rid of this condition, you need to analyse the issue to get a better solution. This content shows how to fix the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error on your Windows.
Reasons For “Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall Or Antivirus Settings” Error:
- When the browser undergoes the risk of any malware attack
- Windows mistakenly assumes Chrome is a potential harm to the PC
- Google Chrome is not added to the Exception list of Firewall
Run Google’s Default Threat & Virus Scanner
Firstly, you should diagnose the issues related to the firewall or antivirus blocking Google Chrome. Run the default malware detector on your PC to check if there is any malware in the device.
Firewall Restricting Google Chrome: Reason
An “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error on your system blocks the browser from working. Moreover, it is due to the firewall or antivirus restricting the malware, any suspicious activity, or harmful websites on your PC. These factors might prevent Google Chrome from working on your system.
Check if Windows shows the error code as
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET; This error is the same as the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.”
How To Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall Or Antivirus Settings?
Add Google Chrome To The Exception List Of Firewall
Microsoft launched Windows Defender Firewall app in Sep 2017 along with the Windows 10(1709 version). Since then, it has been the best security app for your PC/laptop. This app guards your Windows 10 laptop against intruders looking for ways to steal your data. On the other hand, it keeps control of your browsing activity and only allows official websites – almost a bullseye. Sometimes, the Firewall Web Defender could block a website containing infringement or fraudulent links. It may falsely assume Google Chrome is a threat to Windows. So, follow the steps below to make Chrome an exception for the firewall:
- Click the Win + S keys simultaneously on your Windows 10 laptop
- Type “Allow an app through Windows Firewall” on the search bar & tap the “Enter” button
- Find & locate the “Google Chrome” and put “Check” marks on both “Private” and “Public” boxes
- Then, click Change Settings > Ok
Now, close the “Windows Defender Firewall” tab and go to the browser to check if Chrome is working correctly. If your device still encounters the Google Chrome error, continue reading.
Add Google Chrome As Exception For “Virus & Threat Protection”
By default, your PC has Windows Security to remove all viruses & threats trying to enter your device. You need to exclude Google Chrome from the virus & threat protection to unbound it from the firewall or antivirus scanning. In addition, follow the on-screen instructions to eliminate the Google Chrome error
- Open the Windows Search tab by clicking Win + S at the same time
- Type “Virus & Threat Protection” on the Windows search bar
- Then, Click the “Enter” button to open the “Windows Security” tab
- Tap on the “Manage Settings” option
- Press “Add or remove exclusions” under “Exclusions.”
- Tap on the “+” icon to add the program to the Exclusion
- Now, you have to select the file from the device
- Provide the file location path as Local Disk (C:)>Program Files >Google
- Choose the folder & tap the “Ok” button
And that’s it; you have added Google Chrome to the Windows Security Exclusion list. Likewise, you can add or remove any program from the Virus & threat protection.
[ProTip]How To Add Google Chrome To The Firewall Exclusion List on Windows 7:
You must follow specific methods to add Google Chrome to the exclusion list. Exploring the Windows settings will fix the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error. Also, make use of the following steps to do this setting
- Go to Control Panel on your Windows 7 PC
- Select the “Windows Defender”
- Tap “Tools” (Gear icon)
- Click the “Options” button(also with Gear icon)
- Press the “Excluded Files & Folder” option(usually, you can see it on the left side of the control panel)
- Look at the right portion of the screen for the “Add” button – click it
- Click the “Browse” button to provide the location path for the file
- Head to Local Disc (C:) > Program Files
- Then, select Google > Chrome
- Click the “Application” file & select the “Chrome.exe” file
Lately, after selecting a file to add as an exclusion, click the “Ok” button to save changes on your Windows 7 system.
Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall Or Antivirus Settings – Google Chromebook
A firewall manipulates the browser on your Google Chromebook and guards it against the viruses & threats. Sometimes, the firewall itself creates an issue & shows error on your Chromebook. This is due to the firewall’s assumption that the Chrome search engine is a threat to your laptop. In such instances, you must modify the Firewall settings to get Google Chrome to work on your laptop. Take notice of the steps given down to change Firewall settings
- Get logged in to Google Chromebook
- Open “Menu”
- Direct to “Administration Menu”
- Then, click “Firewall”
- When the notification box pops up, enter the password (use the root password if you’ve not reset it yet)
- Open “Allowed Services” to get access to the Chrome browser
- On the Firewall tab, tap “Finish.”
After performing these steps, ensure that the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error has been resolved.
Fix The “Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall Or Antivirus Settings” error on Apple MacBook Pro
In contrast to Windows, Mac is slightly different in setting the Firewall configurations. Go to Firewall options on your Mac to add any apps as the exception. To have a clear picture, follow the steps below
- Go to “System Preferences” on your MacBook
- Tap on the “Security & Privacy” icon
- Click “Firewall” to select it
- Press the “Lock” icon
- Then, provide the admin name & password
- Select the “Firewall Options”
- Click “+” icon to add an application
- Put the “Check” mark on the app that you want to add to the Exception list
- Now, tap the “Add” button > Ok
At the same time, it allows you to remove unwanted apps from the Firewall exclusion list: Click the “-” icon to remove such apps. As a result, this technique would resolve the search engine error on your Mac.
Modify Google Chrome Settings
In some instances, changing the settings of Google Chrome would clear the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error. By opening the Google search engine & following the steps below
- Search for the three vertical dots on your browser tab (generally, you can see them in the top-right corner) and click on it
- Then, tap on the “Settings” option
- This directs you to Google Settings, then press “Advanced” for more options
- Scroll down the Window to click the “Reset & Clean Up” button
Now you can restore the default settings on your Google Chrome; in other words, the reset removes the current cookies, bookmarks, history & saved credentials. So, remember or take notes of your passwords before starting this technique.
Disable The VPN Network & Web Shield
Do this simple trick to clear the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error on your computer. Disable your PC’s Web Shield and VPN Network to allow Google Chrome to work on your PC. To disable the Web Shield & VPN Network, follow the steps below.
For Web Shield:
- Click Win + S to open the Search Tab on your Windows 10 laptop
- Type “Virus & threat protection” & tap “Enter” button
- The Windows Security tab opens
- Select the Manage Settings option
- Then, your device prompts the Active Protection Menu tab
- Disable the Web Shield feature from it
For VPN Network:
- Type “Device Manager” on the search bar
- Click the “+” icon to expand the “Network Adapters”
- Use the mouse to right-click on “VPN Adapter” to disable it
First, disable the Web Shield & check for the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error. If it persists, turn off the VPN Network simultaneously to check for Google Chrome’s functionality.
How To Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall Or Antivirus Settings – Avast
Last but not least, if you encounter the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error while browsing, there might be a problem with the antivirus application. You need to add Chrome to the Exclusion of your antivirus protection. If you have “Avast” as the antivirus for your Windows 10 PC, then follow the steps below
- Launch the Antivirus App (Avast) on your Windows 10 laptop/PC
- Tap the “Menu” button
- Then, click “Settings”
- Tap on “Exceptions” & click the “ADD EXCEPTION” button
- The search column opens and then click “Browse”
- This pops up with a new tab showing the file locations
- Expand Local Disk (C:) from the pop-up
- Double-click the “Program Files” under Local Disk: C
- Scroll down to click Google & tap “Ok” to add it
You’ve successfully added Google as the exception for Avast Antivirus App. To remove Google Chrome from the Avast exception, click the “x” mark next to the “trash” icon(near Google Chrome).
The first & foremost step is to ensure that the firewall or antivirus is not blocking Google Chrome. You can launch a built-in scanner on your Google to detect any malware behind this issue later. Secondly, modify the Browser, Web Shield, and VPN Network settings to fix Google Chrome not working. Furthermore, check the official website of your antivirus to look at any patches for the issue familiar to yours. To clear the “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings” error, add Chrome to the Exclusion list on both the firewall & antivirus.