Facebook Messenger is an unique instant app for chatting and sharing media with your friends. It also allows you to make video calls and post stories via Messenger. When you find that Facebook Messenger not working, you have no choice other than direct messaging on Facebook. The messenger app prompts notifications that let you know what’s new on Facebook. With the help of this article, you can mend Facebook Messenger not working & get back to chat with your Facebook friends again.
It is difficult to predict why Facebook messenger not working. But once you’ve found the reasons , you can solve the issue seamlessly. This article guides you in the process of fixing the Facebook messenger app not working.
Use Alternative Way To Check Facebook Messenger
Firstly, check if your Facebook account is active by logging in to the Facebook app or opening it in Google. At the same time, launch the Facebook Messenger app on the Google search engine.This is how you can do it
- Open the Browser
- Go to the official Facebook site
- Now, provide your credentials to log in
- Then, check if the Facebook Messenger is working properly
Take Advantage Of the Messenger Lite Version
Facebook Messenger app needs more space and data for its functioning. Instead, using the Lite version of the Facebook Messenger uses less space on your device. Unlike the alpha version, the Lite app utilises fewer resources for its operations and performs faster on your device.
- Go to Google Play Store
- Search for the Messenger Lite app
- Click Download > Install
- Open the app and then enter your login credentials
- Sync the account with your phone contacts or Facebook Account
Restart Your Phone
This method is the first and foremost to follow when Facebook Messenger is not working on your device. This method clears all the glitches and errors within your Phone software. As a result, restarting your iPhone boosts up the device speed & removes all bugs.
More app users find the best results for their Facebook Messenger app not working by simply restarting their phone. Though it is an old-school technique used more often to fix several issues, it is an effective method & is suitable for all devices using the Facebook Messenger app. Some devices provide shortcut keys to restart, whereas use a traditional way to restart others. After restarting, open the app and check if the Messenger app is working correctly.
Use Another Device To Login
You can use multiple devices to access the Facebook Messenger app and enter the login credentials to open the app on any device. So, try to use the Messenger app on another device to check its functionality. For instance, log out from the app on your phone, and try to log in on your laptop.
While there are options for using Facebook Messenger app function on your alternative device, you can use that device for the Facebook Messenger app. In the meantime, try to fix the unresponsive device using the techniques followed in this article.
Do Force Quit
Force stop is an effective method to fix Facebook Messenger not working and it works by force quitting every app on your device. You can use the steps below
- Launch the device’s Settings
- Click Apps & Notifications
- Select Facebook Messenger App
- Tap on the “Force Quit” button
Next, you can use this method as the quick fix for Facebook Messenger not working. The cache is the temporary file in your device that performs the app’s command. When your cache gets full, clear them to enhance your device’s performance. Try to clear all the cache files on your phone to repair the Facebook Messenger not working.
If your device runs more tasks in the background, there might be a high chance for your apps to become dysfunctional. Follow the steps below to clear all cache files
- Head to your Phone Settings
- Click on the “Apps” tab
- Find and tap on a Messenger app
- Press the “Clear Cache” button to remove all cache files on the app
- Open the Messenger app
- Launch Settings
- Click on the “Storage & Cache” option
- Then, tap on the “Clear Storage” button
- Now, restart your Messenger app
Check if the Facebook Messenger not working is fixed. If not, move on to the other methods in this article. You can know how to troubleshoot the Wi-Fi connection on your device from the upcoming techniques.
Restart the Phone’s Wi-Fi Connection
When using the Wi-Fi network on your device, try this technique to get a better result for Facebook Messenger not working. Restarting your Wi-Fi connection will wipe out any technical errors in the connectivity path between your device & Wi-Fi router.
- Swipe down from the top of the Phone screen
- In the control panel, tap on Wi-Fi
- Then, toggle off the Wi-Fi Feature
- Wait for a few seconds to turn it on
- Go to Settings App on your Phone
- Click on the “Network & Internet” option
- Now, you can see the Wi-Fi toggle bar; turn it off
- Later, turn on the Wi-Fi again
Reset Wi-Fi Network
Sometimes, a poor Wi-Fi network would drive the Facebook Messenger not working on your phone. Resetting your network equipment is the only possible way to fix the errors on the connectivity path.
- Launch Phone Settings App
- Open Wi-Fi Settings
- Click on the Wi-Fi connection that you want to remove
- Tap on the “Forget This Network” option
- Now, unplug the power adapter from the Wi-Fi router
- Wait a minute to plug it again
- Press the Power button on the Wi-Fi router, check if the router is on
- Again, open the Settings app on your phone
- Turn on the mobile Wi-Fi connection
- Connect your Wi-Fi network to the phone
After completing this method, open the Facebook Messenger app and test the app’s functionality on your phone.
Enable App’s Background Data
When the Facebook Messenger app is restricted for background running, you may not receive any app notifications. If you’ve enabled the app’s background data, it notifies you every time, even when closed.
Check if the background data is disabled for the Facebook Messenger app when it is not working. Sometimes, you may restrict data usage for some apps to save network consumption.
- Go to Phone Settings
- Click on the “Network & Internet” tab
- Tap Data Usage>Data Saver
- Leave the data saver option unchanged if it is turned off
- Press the “Unrestricted Data Access” button(when the data saver is on)
- Scroll down to click “Messenger” App
- Turn on the Background Data for this app
Now, you can test if the Facebook Messenger app not working is rectified. Anyways, continue reading this article to pick the best fixes for your app issue.
Update Messenger App
App developers are engaged in releasing new app updates to upgrade the features. In addition, updating the app will fix the bugs & errors from the early version. When you did not notice the updates for the app, this could result in Facebook Messenger not working. Simply updating the app might fix the app issue on your phone; follow the below steps
- Open Phone Menu
- Find & Click the Google Play Store
- Search for Messenger App that you’ve installed on your device
- Click on the “Update” button
If you wish to update all the other apps on your phone, try the following actions
- Launch Google Play Store
- Tap on Profile Picture(at the top right corner)
- Click the “Settings Network Preferences” option
- Then, enable the “Auto-update” feature
- Select either Mobile Data or Wi-Fi network for Auto-update apps
Check On Your Servers
When your network server slows down, you must wait until the servers are back on track. Any technical faults from the side of service providers would lead to Facebook Messenger not working. In such cases, it is impossible to use your favourite apps. Check for outages or maintenance within the phone apps to fix the issue.
Do System Update
You must update your phone’s software to fix the Facebook Messenger not working. An outdated OS version on your device is always accompanied by potential malwares. Try to install the latest OS to get rid of all errors & bugs from your device’s current OS. You should explore more on your device after the system update to get familiar with the new version. Anyhow, it is essential to update the device OS, which escalates several features on your phone. You can update your device by either manually or automatically by following the steps below
- Head to Settings (on your Phone)
- Open the “System” tab
- Click on the “System Updates” button
- Look for the updates
If there are any new versions available, you can download it by clicking on the updates. Restart your device to establish the update on your device automatically.
Delete Messenger App & Reinstall
Uninstall the Messenger app on your phone and then download it again to sort out the Facebook Messenger not working. Indeed, this technique will take less effort to fix the app issue on your phone. While uninstalling the app, you can store all your data in the cloud memory. You can recover your data from the memory anytime by logging into it.
- Go to the Phone Menu
- Find and locate the Messenger App
- Press & hold the Application to view the “Uninstall” option
- Tap on “Uninstall” to delete the Facebook Messenger
- Open Google Play Store on your Phone
- Click the Profile icon (in the top right corner)
- Tap on the “Manage Apps and Devices” option
- Search for the Apps that you want to uninstall
- Click “Uninstall” to remove the Messenger App
After trying the above steps, wait a minute to install the app again on your device. If you want to know how to install the Messenger app, then follow the steps below
- Launch Google Play Store on your Device
- Type “Messenger” in the search column
- Click on Messenger from the search results (you can see the logo of lightning enclosed by the chatbox)
Now, open the Messenger app on your device, enter the login details, and check if the app’s function is normal. Anyways move on to the Reset App Preferences to get rid of Facebook Messenger not working issue.
Reset App Preferences On Your Phone
Have you not fixed the Facebook Messenger not working issue yet? Reset the App Preference Settings to repair the Messenger app on your phone. Resetting the app preference won’t remove the storage data from the device.
Reset the app preferences to restore the app’s default settings which removes background data settings, app permissions, notifications, etc. and turns on the notification on your phone
If you’re not clear with Reset App Preferences, follow the steps mentioned here
- Click to open the Settings App (on your phone)
- Select the “System” tab
- Tap on the “Reset” button
- Then, click the “Reset App Preferences” option
- Pick the Apps that you want to reset their preferences on your phone
In addition, reset your device’s Wi-Fi, mobile, and Bluetooth to get better results for Facebook Messenger not working.
- Open Phone Settings>System
- Click on the “Reset” options
- Tap the “Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth” option
After performing this method, check for the Messenger app working on your phone. Otherwise, try to enable Safe Mode on your device by following the next method.
Put Your Device On Safe Mode
Any app that you’ve recently downloaded on your device might prevent the Messenger app from working. You must follow this technique to find what app is causing Facebook Messenger not working.
While enabling the Safe Mode on your device, it only allows the apps necessary for your mobile. You should restart your device to unblock all the other apps.
- Press & hold the Power Button until the Power Off options appear
- Tap & hold the “Power Off” button
- In the next Window, click on the “Reboot To Safe Mode” option
After completing these steps, check each app on the device to make a list of defective apps. Then, you can uninstall those apps to regulate Facebook Messenger not working.
Get Technical Support
This method is the last resource to mend the Facebook Messenger not working. Get support from your device’s service centre to fix the Messenger issue on your phone. You can contact specialists or familiar experts to fix your device’s issue.
Despite having other communication apps, Messenger users know the frustration when it is not working on their devices. Though this app allows you to contact your friends or strangers on Facebook. Ensure deleting unwanted files from the device, which could create more space for such an app to function. Also, check whether the Messenger app settings have the necessary permissions on the device. The common causes and their fixes for Facebook Messenger not working are given above. After trying the effective fixes in this guide & still the Messenger app is not working – contact technical support. Additionally, take your device to the nearby service centre and tell them about the issue. The experts there will get your device fixed within a short time.