A Facetime camera or Mac camera not working is inevitable when using Skype or any video calling app. Even technicians could not figure out most cases of the mac camera not working. There is no doubt that the situation is unruly when the camera on Mac is not working. I bet you’ve finally come to the place where you get an exact solution for mac camera issues.
Almost every model of Mac is compatible with the facetime camera or, say, the front camera. It is placed on top of the mobile corners depending upon the mac model. Open the app(prefer camera) on your Mac to turn on the camera for taking pictures and making video calls. The camera connects whenever you’re opening apps that utilize the camera. However, if you query, “why is my mac camera not working?” Here are some practical solutions that are as follows.
Causes For Mac Camera Not Working
When you open the camera and receive no response even after waiting for a while, you can see the Mac pops up with the message “No Connected Camera,” which clearly shows the camera not working Mac. Don’t pressure yourself, as it could be handled solemnly using the following methods. All you need to do is get going with this article till the end.
- The Camera app doesn’t belong to Mac OS and works based on app preferences. While opening apps with camera preferences on Mac, it turns on a facetime camera on your MacBook.
- We suggest getting technical support when a Mac camera has a hardware issue. There might be risks as you can damage your Mac if you try fixing the problem yourself.
Allow App Permission
First, check the camera app usage permissions when your facetime camera not working Mac.
- Open Apple from the menu bar on your Mac
- Go to system preferences.
- Select Security & privacy
- Click the Privacy tab from the options
- From the features list, open the camera
- Allow the apps to access your camera from the list
Use Terminal To Close Camera
Suppose you did not correctly close the mac camera while using any app; the camera rejects opening in other apps until you apply a terminal to close the task.
- Open finder from the menu bar
- Select Applications
- Go to Utilities from the settings
- Click Terminal and enter the proper commands
#Command1: sudo killall VDCAssistant
Quit the VDCAssistant task that supports the camera working. Use your admin passkey to apply the command. In the terminal command box, type the command 1 ‘sudo killall VDCAssistant.’
#Command2: sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
On the other hand, command 2 works only on the Mac with OS X and doesn’t create changes on macOS Big Sur. Moreover, using “sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant” gives the same results as the command “sudo killall VDCAssistant” on BigSur MacOS.
Check Activity Monitor
Mac turns the camera on while you’re using an app that needs the it’s functionality. Also, it is crucial to know that the app using the camera at the time induces it not to work on other apps. Check whether you have restricted any apps accessing the camera at the moment
- Establish activity monitor from applications on the finder
- Clear all apps that are using the camera
- When you’re doubtful about identifying the apps that use the camera, clear all the processes.
Restart Your Mac
After clearing all the tasks, check if the camera on Mac not working is fixed. If the issue is unsolved, there might be chances for other programs to run in the background. Restarting your Mac could fix the issue of the camera not working on Mac. Follow the steps below to restart your Mac safely.
- Open the Apple menu
- In the list of options, click restart
Force Quit Facetime Camera
Restarting might be helpful if you’re not assigned any work on your Mac. But, when you’re in a meeting, and suddenly your mac camera is not working, the situation worsens. In such cases, you may follow methods other than restarting your Mac.
Use a command to force quit the task by following the steps given below
- Go to the Apple menu
- Select Applications
- Tap on the Utilities option
- From the Utilities menu, launch the Terminal
- Enter “sudo killall VDCAssistant” in the terminal box
- Type the admin password to complete the command
To check if the issue is resolved, reopen the app, which allows the facetime camera to function. If any app turns on the camera correctly, then it is evident that the issue is rectified.
Fix Mac Camera not Working for Skype
When you’re facing a Mac camera that refuses to open Skype, the question emerges,” Why is my mac camera not working on Skype? Here is a solution to rectify the Skype app.
- Keep track of the latest updates in the Skype app
- After updating Skype, check for the issues.
- Delete Skype and reinstall it if the problem still exists
- After that, repeat the previous method in the row and then restart your Mac. Check whether the mac camera not working on Skype is fixed.
Also, the Skype app requires internet speed that ranges between 120 kb to 1.2 Mbps to initiate video calls on Mac. If the signal strength is weak to make video calls, it may cause the issue of the camera not working on Mac.
Reset System Management Controller
Are you worried about the mac camera not working and being unable to find solutions from the above methods? We are here to give you more fixes for the camera on Mac not working. Reset the SMC(System Management Controller) to troubleshoot the problem with hardware functions on your Mac.
Use the steps to reset System Management Controller (For Mac models from 2017 or before)
- Turn off your Mac
- Plug into the charger
- Press ctrl + shift + option + power button (simultaneously)
- Hold the keys for 30 seconds, and it’ll reset SMC on your Mac.
The latest Macbook Pro/Air models require another way to reset while they have a T2 security chip. Usually, following #Step1 given below is enough to fix a mac camera not working. But, performing other steps can raise the chances of fixing camera issues on the MacBook.
#Step1: For MacBook models of 2018 or after
- Turn off MacBook
- Long press the power button
- Release the power button after 10 seconds
- Turn on the Mac
If it is still not working, follow the second step given below.
#Step2: For MacBooks from 2018 till now
- Turn off Mac
- Once the Mac is shut down, press shift(right) + option(left) + ctrl(left) keys and hold for 7 sec.
- Further, press the power button after 7 seconds and hold all keys for 14 seconds.
- Release all the keys, then wait for a few seconds
- Turn on the Mac again
If the issue of the camera on Mac not working is allied with SMC, this method could resolve the issue perfectly. This step indeed works for the MacBook models from 2018 till now. If the problem is not fixed by resetting SMC, let’s hope the final step works for the issue of camera not working Mac.
Lastly, try Apple diagnostics if all the other effective methods fail to fix the camera not working on Mac. Now, turn off the MacBook, remove all connected devices, and ensure the Mac is free from congestion.
Suppose you have an Apple silicon processor; press Command + D to run apple diagnostics on your Mac. Hold the “D” key alone to run diagnostics on Macs that have Intel processors.
Apple diagnostics recognizes the issue with the camera on Mac not working and sends reference codes related to the issue. If you get a reference code like NDC001/003/004/005 or 006, indicates that the issue is with the facetime camera on Mac.
Why is My Camera on Mac Not Working? Is it Broken?
It isn’t easy to deal with any physical repair for a mac camera not working. Also, all the above methods can’t fix the damaged Mac camera issue. Apple diagnostics shows the reference code for the camera issue, or you can see the signs of the broken camera in your Mac. Usually, the mac camera breaks when you drop or spill something over the Mac, causing the Mac camera not working. Take your MacBook immediately to the experts for a repair.
Try to get support from the Apple store or technicians for your MacBook. You can also avail of customer care support from the Apple service center. You can be able to fix the hardware issues by taking technical support. They can solemnly handle the issue and reset your mac camera not working to function again. Technicians try to fix the mac camera issue and may suggest replacing the camera when there is no point in fixing it. Apart from that, you can find easy fixes in this article for any other problems with software or connections.